[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 9 20:17:26 PST 2004

on Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 01:29:44PM +1100, Mike MacCana (mmaccana@redhat.com) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >As has been noted to me:  RPM formats change over time.
> >
> Very rarely. Most people are confused about that: RPM 3 and RPM 4 (which
> have been in use for a very long time) share an identical package
> format. The difference is that RPM 4 used a better backend for the
> package database (DB4 rather than DB3).

FWIW, I read through both the Debian _and_ upstream changelogs without
gleaning where the breakpoints occurred.  They're not clearly specified.
I've heard a number of statements from some generally knowledgeable
folks on IRC.

> >>And if a floppy is all you can get to boot the machine (doubtful),
> >>why can't you just extract required files from another machine, then
> >>do your floppy shuttling from there ?
> >
> >Well, you've just upped your requirements to another machine.
> >
> I still maintain your requirement of
> a) Having to download something other than what you used to install the
>    system
> b) A floppy drive
>
> is unreasonable on a modern system.

We're clearly going nowhere here, save for a tight loop.

All I ask is that those of you who have no idea where your install media
are, raise your hands.

As for myself, TRB/LNX-BBC/Knoppix frequently *are* the install media:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=debian%20chroot%20install

Peace.

    MX Radio - With Bob Edwards, who needs NPR?       http://www.xmradio.com/