[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 18:46:58 PST 2004

Jim Thompson wrote:

>> Its 2004. Every x86 machine that's still  working can boot from a CD,
>> those that can't are usually servers which can boot of a network, or
>> USB.
>

> Fundamentally untrue.   I have x86 machines that don't have floppies
> or CDs, have no way of attaching them or USB, and for which the BIOS
> does not support network booting.   For example, PC Engines WRAP boards.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I wasn't talking about embedded Linux.

>> The technical advantages of rpm and deb over each other are minute.
>> Most of what people like about one over the other is policy and tools
>> that use them.
>

> s/rpm/vi/
> s/deb/emacs/

The fact that you can substitute words in my sentence doesn't prove your
point.

Add suggested / recommended dependencies, and a text-file based backend
to RPM
or
Add better recording of file properties / ability to use offline
databases for verification, and warnings about installing unsigned
packages to deb

...and you'd basically have the same thing.

Of course, there'd be people who hate RPM anyway, cause of what the R
once stood for, and the fact they used an ancient version of it with no
dependency resolution tools and had a negative experience.

Mike