[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 18:29:44 PST 2004

Karsten M. Self wrote:

>As has been noted to me:  RPM formats change over time.

Very rarely. Most people are confused about that: RPM 3 and RPM 4 (which
have been in use for a very long time) share an identical package
format. The difference is that RPM 4 used a better backend for the
package database (DB4 rather than DB3).

>>And if a floppy is all you can get to boot the machine (doubtful), why
>>can't you just extract required files from another machine, then do
>>your floppy shuttling from there ?
>>

>Well, you've just upped your requirements to another machine.

I still maintain your requirement of
a) Having to download something other than what you used to install the
system
b) A floppy drive

is unreasonable on a modern system.

Mike