[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 18:24:44 PST 2004

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 08:21:48PM -0500, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>

>>Karsten M. Self wrote:
>>

>>>KISS.  You've heard of it?
>>>

>>Your argument is pretty convulated.  I suppose there are many advantages
>>to the dpkg format over rpm, but making 1992-style system rescue
>>operations easier is certainly not a very pertinent one.
>>

>Isn't the proof ultimately in the pudding? I have frequently--and
>recently--been saved by the fact that I can do everything from a boot
>floppy and no network access.  Sometimes its old hardware

Very old.

>, sometimes its
>broken hardware--I've run across a fair number of 4 year old machines
>where the CD drive no longer works reliably but the floppy is perfectly
>fine (I suppose because it gets so much less use).

I think there might be a problem with the CD drives you're using. As
Etienne said, the ability to do 1992 rescues - or, I'll add, your
edge-case scenerio of needing to do such rescues on quite frequently
broken hardware - is not an advantage of deb over rpm.

Its 2004. Every x86 machine that's still  working can boot from a CD,
those that can't are usually servers which can boot of a network, or USB.

The technical advantages of rpm and deb over each other are minute. Most
of what people like about one over the other is policy and tools that
use them.

There's really no reason either or couldn't simply die in favor of the
other.

Mike