[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@videotron.ca
Thu Dec 9 18:00:48 PST 2004

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
> Isn't the proof ultimately in the pudding? I have frequently--and
> recently--been saved by the fact that I can do everything from a boot
> floppy and no network access.  Sometimes its old hardware, sometimes its
> broken hardware--I've run across a fair number of 4 year old machines
> where the CD drive no longer works reliably but the floppy is perfectly
> fine (I suppose because it gets so much less use).

If you define "recently" as 1996 and on, I can agree with you.  Last
time I did such a thing, the patient was a 486.

But today, a brand new IDE CD-ROM is what ?  20$ ?  I have seen brand
new PCI NIC for 5$.  Add to that a cross-over Ethernet cable, and it
come out less than 30$.  My time is worth more than that.

Even better, while you have the case open, would be mount the disk on
some other machine so you can at least make a backup.  From there, you
might give a shot at fixing whatever is broken from the comfort of a
working OS.

I pity the poor soul stuck doing "floppy shuttling".