[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam@rosi-kessel.org
Thu Dec 9 17:29:05 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 08:21:48PM -0500, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >KISS.  You've heard of it?
> Your argument is pretty convulated.  I suppose there are many advantages
> to the dpkg format over rpm, but making 1992-style system rescue
> operations easier is certainly not a very pertinent one.

Isn't the proof ultimately in the pudding? I have frequently--and
recently--been saved by the fact that I can do everything from a boot
floppy and no network access.  Sometimes its old hardware, sometimes its
broken hardware--I've run across a fair number of 4 year old machines
where the CD drive no longer works reliably but the floppy is perfectly
fine (I suppose because it gets so much less use).

If none of the advantages of DEB over RPM would ever have been useful to
you, then fine.  There's not really any argument that can convince you.
If you happen to be end up in circumstances like those in which I
frequently find myself, then you're probably already convinced.

(apologies for the 'convulated' sentence structure at the end...)
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org