[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 7 22:34:33 PST 2004

on Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 01:07:24PM +1100, Mike MacCana (mmaccana@redhat.com) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:

> >It *is* possible to rescue a Debian system with, say, Toms Root Boot & a
> >floppy shuttle of DEBs.

> (PS, I have no idea what a floppy shuttle is - I'm presuming its a case
> for floppy disks?)

It's shuttling files over floppy disk.  So called because frequently
packages are > 1.4 (or 1.7) MiB in size, and must be split over multiple
disks and reassembled on the other side.  Slow.  But works, if that's
all you've got.

> > Been there, done that, lost the T-shirt in the
> > dryer.  Try that with RH.
> >
> You'd insert the first CD and type 'linux rescue', without having to
> download Tom's Root Boot

No.  You don't "have to d/l TRB".  You're stuck with the RH rescue disk.
Which is a specific image.  TRB is one of multiple alternative bootable
systems which make this possible, and it's listed as a generic tool.
Requirements:  a vaguely 'sh' compatible shell, ar, cat, tar, and gzip.
For RPM, you'd require explicit RPM support.  TRB, Trinix, or anything
else that 1) boots GNU/Linux and 2) leaves the floppy open will work.

> or have a floppy drive (it'd also work on kernel 2.6, unlike a floppy
> based soslution where the kernel wouldn't fit).

Kernel version shouldn't matter so long as you can access storage.
There are some issues particularly with ext2fs changes which stumped TRB
for a while, I believe these are worked out in current versions of TRB.
Admittedly:  boot floppies tend to stay back a rev or two of the kernel
for reasons of size.

> I'm sure there's a version of Debian whic hcan do that too, just so
> you're aware I'm not really into the pissing contest the entire mailing
> list wants to start every five seconds.

Your "pissing contest".  My "this is what standard-tools-based packaging
formats buys you".

Peace.

    Am I going mad, or did the word "think" escape your lips?
    - Princess Bride