[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Sun Dec 5 18:07:24 PST 2004

Karsten M. Self wrote:

>on Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 02:04:26PM +1100, Mike MacCana (mmaccana@redhat.com) wrote:
>

>>Rick Moen wrote:
>>

>>>Quoting Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com):
>>>

>>>Joey's comparison table is useful:
>>>http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/
>>>Note the rows for pre/post install/remove program capability.
>>>

>>Just a note: the sites a little out of date. It mentions RPM as not
>>being 'unpackable by standard tools'. The ability to unpack RPM has been
>>in the Linux Standards Base for eleventy billion years.
>>

>Joey qualifies his comments as "linux standard tools".

Yes. His definition of standard is not correct.

Almost every distro out there supports a version of the LSB recent
enough to install RPM packages.

Mike

>E.g.:  'gzip' is
>a standard tool.  Ditto cpio, GNU tar, ar, etc.  RPM is a binary format
>_not_ handled by standard archival utilities.  Yes, you can get
>libraries to support managing it, but on the basis of de-facto standard,
>I'd still say his comments are accurate.
>
>It *is* possible to rescue a Debian system with, say, Toms Root Boot & a
>floppy shuttle of DEBs.

Oer, a non sequitur Debian comparison!

I wonder which mailing list I'm on?

(PS, I have no idea what a floppy shuttle is - I'm presuming its a case
for floppy disks?)

>Been there, done that, lost the T-shirt in the
>dryer.  Try that with RH.

You'd insert the first CD and type 'linux rescue', without having to
download Tom's Root Boot or have a floppy drive (it'd also work on
kernel 2.6, unlike a floppy based soslution where the kernel wouldn't
fit). You can also rescue across the network with PXE should your server
have no local media.

I'm sure there's a version of Debian whic hcan do that too, just so
you're aware I'm not really into the pissing contest the entire mailing
list wants to start every five seconds.

Cheers,

Mike