[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 5 17:08:46 PST 2004

on Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 02:04:26PM +1100, Mike MacCana (mmaccana@redhat.com) wrote:
> Rick Moen wrote:
>
> >Quoting Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com):
> >

> >Joey's comparison table is useful:
> >http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/
> >Note the rows for pre/post install/remove program capability.
> >

> Just a note: the sites a little out of date. It mentions RPM as not
> being 'unpackable by standard tools'. The ability to unpack RPM has been
> in the Linux Standards Base for eleventy billion years.

Joey qualifies his comments as "linux standard tools".  E.g.:  'gzip' is
a standard tool.  Ditto cpio, GNU tar, ar, etc.  RPM is a binary format
_not_ handled by standard archival utilities.  Yes, you can get
libraries to support managing it, but on the basis of de-facto standard,
I'd still say his comments are accurate.

It *is* possible to rescue a Debian system with, say, Toms Root Boot & a
floppy shuttle of DEBs.  Been there, done that, lost the T-shirt in the
dryer.  Try that with RH.

Peace.

    Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Hooterville
    Junction will no longer be so damned relevant, and
    women will not care if Dick finally gets down with
    Jane on Search for Tomorrow because Black people
    will be in the street looking for a brighter day.