video suggestions? (was Re: [linux-elitists] Comprehensive ...)

Peter Whysall peter.whysall@ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 3 05:14:13 PST 2004

Eugen Leitl said:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:23:58AM +0000, Adam Sampson wrote:
>
>> I've got a Radeon 9200SE (Rv280-based), and 3D performance is awful
>
> 9600 here.
>
>> with the DRI drivers -- sufficiently so that I'm planning on going
>> back to my old G400 next time I reboot. I bought it for the DVI port,
>> which doesn't work at all in X either. Suffice it to say that I won't
>> be buying another one.
>
> ATI binary drivers are good -- if you can get them to work. I've given up
> on
> them, especially on x86_64/X.org. The procedure is complicated, and it
> breaks
> on every kernel upgrade. Pfaugh.

They're not THAT good. I've got a 9800 Pro, and UT2K4 turns into polygon
soup after about 30 seconds play with monotonous regularity. Before it all
goes pearshaped, the performance is probably 50% of that of the DirectX
rendered Windows version.

The ATI drivers make XScreensaver go nicely, though.

I'm using the 4.3 drivers, packaged for Debian as per the instructions here:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html

Regards,

Peter.

--