[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 19:04:26 PST 2004

Rick Moen wrote:

>Quoting Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com):
>

>>It's also not true. While Linux purists may not be happy with it...
>>

>(Oh dear.  I seem to be insufficiently pure.)
>

>>...one of the first things that most Linux and NVidia users do is
>>download the binary-only NVidia driver from nvidia.com and execute it
>>(it's a shell script, self-installer).
>>

>At the same time, they generally have plausible reason to believe that
>they really are pulling it down from nvidia.com and that it's a file
>from a company that (unlike some others we could mention) works hard to
>avoid the lasting embarrassment of having distributed a file that
>compromises customers' security.
>
>The trick, of course, is to be aware of whom you're trusting, to what
>extent, and why -- or (if not) at least have relatively safe habits and
>practices.
>

>>There are also a number of shar archives from older systems (esp.
>>Usenet) and as you mentioned, a "package" is essentially a shell script
>>+ tar ball (actually RPM as a specific example uses cpio not tar, but
>>same-same).
>>

>Joey's comparison table is useful:
>http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/
>Note the rows for pre/post install/remove program capability.

Just a note: the sites a little out of date. It mentions RPM as not
being 'unpackable by standard tools'. The ability to unpack RPM has been
in the Linux Standards Base for eleventy billion years.

The 'binary programs allowed' is a little strange. You can run a binary
that came inside a package (or one that didn't) inside a postinstall no
problem. Or maybe I don't get what he means by this.

Other than that, it's a pretty good site, that successfully proves the
differences between package formats are more policy based than
technical. Eg, Fedora packages are more often signed, Debian packages
are more consistently named.

Mike