video suggestions? (was Re: [linux-elitists] Comprehensive ...)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 2 17:46:44 PST 2004

Quoting Adam Sampson (azz@us-lot.org):

> I've got a Radeon 9200SE (Rv280-based), and 3D performance is awful
> with the DRI drivers -- sufficiently so that I'm planning on going
> back to my old G400 next time I reboot. I bought it for the DVI port,
> which doesn't work at all in X either. Suffice it to say that I won't
> be buying another one.

Eh, well, I have no personal knowledge of the matter -- or any interest
in 3D -- and was just passing on what I saw on the subject, online.
Personally, about all I use as a console is sundry laptops.

The DRI Project does have technical mailing lists for those who are
interested:  http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/MailingLists
The people involved _are_ very capable:  If I understand correctly, the
core staff are the former Precison Insight guys.

I note from the FAQ/wiki pages that sundry chipsets do 3D properly only
at certain bit depths, and has dependencies on the amount of video RAM.[1]
For that and similar reasons, you might want to consult the DRI mailing
lists -- but I personally have neither relevant experience nor interest.

[1] One poor sap who posted there, who probably attended to none of
those things, complained of getting only 14 fps in glxgears using a
Radeon 9100.  Another with a mere Radeon 8500 LE reported 2200 fps.