video suggestions? (was Re: [linux-elitists] Comprehensive ...)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 2 16:24:17 PST 2004

Quoting Rob McGee (list+Elite@nodns4.us):

> I know this isn't the gnu-purists mailing list, but can someone suggest
> a good video card, with free software drivers and decent 3D performance
> for the games the kids would like to try?

I think one of these based on the  R200 / rv250 / rv280 would be good.
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/ATIRadeon

  Open source 3D acceleration is available on all Radeons up to and
  including the 9250 (rv280). The 7800/rv200 and below are supported by
  the radeon DRI driver; the 8500 through 9250 are supported by the r200
  DRI driver. Both r200 and radeon DRI drivers use the radeon DRM driver.