video suggestions? (was Re: [linux-elitists] Comprehensive ...)

Rob McGee list+Elite@nodns4.us
Thu Dec 2 15:59:28 PST 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 16:36, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> It's also not true. While Linux purists may not be happy with it, one
> of the first things that most Linux and NVidia users do is download
> the binary-only NVidia driver from nvidia.com and execute it (it's a

I know this isn't the gnu-purists mailing list, but can someone suggest
a good video card, with free software drivers and decent 3D performance
for the games the kids would like to try? I've been meaning to upgrade
my video card for a long time, but I don't want to buy nVidia or recent
ATI cards.

At least nVidia seems to put some clueful effort into their Linux/X11
support, so I might eventually break down and buy one of theirs. I
don't know about the ATI binary drivers so I can't say how they are.
--
    Rob - /dev/rob0