[linux-elitists] [Beowulf] Announce: quattor 1.0.0 is out (fwd from angel.leiva@uam.es)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Dec 2 12:38:28 PST 2004

----- Forwarded message from Rafael Garcia Leiva <angel.leiva@uam.es> -----

From: Rafael Garcia Leiva <angel.leiva@uam.es>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 18:08:12 +0100
To: beowulf@beowulf.org
Subject: [Beowulf] Announce: quattor 1.0.0 is out

Dear all,

After more than three years of hard work, tests, and production usage at CERN
computing centre (Geneva), we are confident to make a public, widely
available, release of the quattor toolsuite (see http://www.quattor.org).

Quattor is a tool suite for the automatic installation, configuration and
management of computer fabrics and clusters based on Linux. Among the benefits
of quattor we can mention the following:

* Centralized management of configuration information: with the help of a new
configuration description language (called Pan.)
* Configuration information validation: the configuration information is
validated before its deployment, minimizing the errors due to
misconfiguration.
* Automatic installations: the only thing we have to do with new machines is
to define them in quattor, and they will get automatically installed and
configured through the network.
* Configuration components: today with quattor we can configure a wide range
of services on our client nodes (user accounts, grub, iptables, NFS, SSH,
etc.) including Grid services.
* Software packages management: with the use of a managed software repository
(administrators, ACLs, multiple platforms, ...), and with the new powerful
software management tool SPMA (equivalent to yum or apt-get but with the
possibility to install any version of software packages, and with support for
software downgrading.)
* Many other facilities: SQL-based queries of configuration information,
rollback of configuration deployments, highly modular, based on well known
standards, etc.

Quattor is being distributed under the European Union DataGrid license (an
OpenSource license). Source code and binaries can be freely downloaded from
the quattor web page: http://www.quattor.org, together with the "quattor
installation and user guide".

Typical use cases of quattor are: installation and management of Linux fabrics
(servers, workstations, personal desktops, ...), installation and
configuration of clusters, management of Grid environments, and so on.

Quattor is being used today in many production environments: CERN IT (more
than 2000 machines managed), UAM University in Madrid (desktop management),
LAL Orsay-Paris (Grid computing), NIKHEF Amsterdam, CNAF-INFN, CC-IN2P3, DESY
Zeuthen and DESY Hamburg, Poznan Supercomputing Center, Forschungszentrum
Karlsruhe, UCS-CESGA, LIP Lisboa, etc.

Best regards.

Rafael

--