[linux-elitists] SCO: new PR firm

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Aug 25 15:05:05 PDT 2004

begin Jonathan Corbet quotation of Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 02:42:09PM -0600:

> Remember how Caldera forked off the Microsoft lawsuit into a separate
> company?  I wonder if SCO might not attempt the same in an attempt to
> contain the damage as everything collapses.  I have a hard time seeing
> such a move actually *working* at this late date, but I have an even
> harder time imagining what else they could possibly be thinking.

"For customers of SCO Open Server and UnixWare,
an unfavorable judgment could cause SCO to cease
operations or sell itself. That could harm future
support and maintenance. Just in case, prepare a plan
for migrating to another platform within two years."

--  George J. Weiss
    The Gartner Group
    http://www3.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=118545

Based on noise about Linux in retail (good example:
http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2004-July/047603.html
) some of those migration plans have already turned
into active migration projects.

All I can think of that SCOX might be able to turn
into money is their seat at the UnitedLinux table.
System V source code, annotated and with articles
from Unix contributors, would have made a fine set
of hardcover books, but with the Novell beef still
unresolved a publisher probably wouldn't touch it.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/