[linux-elitists] SCO: new PR firm

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Aug 25 11:05:50 PDT 2004

What's interesting about the latest SCO release isn't
the content...

>   The SCO Group Reconfirms Closing of Repurchase Transaction Between SCO and
>                                 BayStar Capital

(quick, how long until BayStar issues another "is
not!" release?)

but the contact info:

>     /CONTACT:  Blake Stowell, +1-801-932-5703, bstowell@sco.com, or Marc
> Modersitzki, +1-801-932-5635, mmodersi@sco.com, both of The SCO Group; or
> Anton Nicholas of Sloane & Company, +1-212-446-1889, anicholas@sloanepr.com,
> for The SCO Group/

That's right, new PR firm.  Sloane & Company's clients
include American Express Corporate Travel, AT&T, and
Harrah's, and first among the services they offer is
"Crisis Counseling".

http://www.sloanepr.com/services.html

Pretty good PR Week article on the agency's founder.
http://www.sloanepr.com/slonealone.html

Seems like Mr. Sloane is more inclined to actually
advise a client than just sitting back and letting
him run his mouth like SCO's former PR agency had
been doing.  I don't think Darl's threatened Slashdot
astroturfing is Mr. Sloane's style at all -- look for
the new and improved SCOX PR campaign to aim high,
at the Wall Street Journal or the real Forbes.

SCOX has to be interesting for a PR professional --
every time your client says something incorrect to
a reporter, the reporter gets mail from people with
30 years of Unix history on file, a PACER account,
or both.

SCOX is supposed to have a "key" announcement
scheduled for the conference call on Tuesday the 31st.
If they feel like they had to bring in a new PR
firm, it might be pretty important, at least by
SCOX standards.

Conference call info.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040824/latu096_1.html

--