[linux-elitists] Style guidelines for Debian docs?

The Robber Of Zork robber@zork.net
Sun Aug 8 16:04:51 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 22:41, Erinn Clark wrote:

> For the original starting point and the ensuing, erm, discussion, see:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2004/08/msg00003.html

Ah...

Clearly, if the Debian Project has a position/policy on this question,
it is well hidden; I can't find it. What I did find was the Gnome style
document, which holds:

"Avoid sexist language

"Pronoun constructions such as his/her or s/he do not exist. There is no
need to identify gender in your instructions."

http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/fundamentals-4.html#fundamentals-9

Interestingly enough, this document acknowledges that:

"Many of these guidelines are only applicable to English-language usage,
see the American Heritage Dictionary  and the Chicago Manual of Style."

The Gnome document appears to be the sort of thing that might provide a
useful baseline for evolving a Debian Style Guide.

--
Beware The Frumious Robber Of Zork