[linux-elitists] free chess engine?

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Wed Apr 14 13:14:31 PDT 2004

In the immortal words of Mister Bad <mr.bad@pigdog.org>:

>     MO> /etc/cron.monthly/vrms:
>
>     MO>   Non-free packages with status other than installed on foofoo
>
>     MO> crafty ( dei) State-of-the-art chess engine, compatible with
>
> That's weird. I poked around on the crafty FTP site, and I couldn't
> find anything that looked remotely like a license agreement. I'm
> wondering why this even passes the non-free distributability test.
>
> How someone could go through 19+ versions of a software package
> without bothering to define any license info is beyond me.

  Crafty is distributed under a proprietary license.

  Its main points are:

  - you can get the source code
  - reproduction and usage of source and binaries allowed for
    personal use only (this is detailed in the license text)
  - usage on chess competitions requires written permission from the
    author
  - copies of the source must keep the copyright notice intact
  - changes to the code must be made public

  The full terms are found in Crafty's main.c file.

--
/home/modus/.signature