[linux-elitists] govt proprietary software mandates, was QST de KG6INA

Tom Duffy tomduffy@dslextreme.com
Wed Apr 14 10:23:02 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 09:48 -0500, D. Joe Anderson wrote:
> Or how about just "e-filing your federal tax return requires you to
> run proprietary software"?
>
> One can still file on paper, or delegate the task of running non-free
> software for e-filing to a paid tax preparer, so the extent to which
> it is a "requirement" is, for now, still arguable.

Interestingly enough, the IRS had a booth at the last LinuxWorld I
attended.  I asked about getting a free utility to do taxes, and the
agent said that it "was being worked on."

Of course, you can e-file your taxes with any web browser including free
ones as I did this year and years past using TurboTax for the web.  The
software running on the backend was of course proprietary, but I did not
have to run any proprietary software on my side.

-tduffy