[linux-elitists] govt proprietary software mandates, was QST de KG6INA

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Wed Apr 14 07:48:10 PDT 2004

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 02:42:15PM -0800, Steve Beattie wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 03:31:40PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > This is good news, but now what am I going to use for an example
> > of why a government "choice" of proprietary software can turn
> > into a into a proprietary software mandate for people who must
> > communicate with the government?
>
> How about "getting a DoD security clearance requires you use Win
> 3.1/95/98/NT/2000 and download/run a binary executable":
>
>   http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.04.html#subj12

Or how about just "e-filing your federal tax return requires you to
run proprietary software"?

One can still file on paper, or delegate the task of running non-free
software for e-filing to a paid tax preparer, so the extent to which
it is a "requirement" is, for now, still arguable.

--Joe