[linux-elitists] Notify about using the e-mail account.

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Sun Apr 11 23:32:56 PDT 2004

begin  Don Marti  quotation:
> What I really don't understand is: Why would Mailman want to let
> list posts through when the envelope sender is on the list and the
> From: is forged to an address not on the list?  Should I just go
> ahead and replace calls to get_senders() with calls to get_sender()?

	This was actually a big problem I had administering lists for
a while.  Some folks are kind of willy-nilly about how they check
their mail.  They'll go to a friend's house, use their friend's mail
program to just slurp down all unread mail, respond to what they can,
and just delete the set when done.

	Those folks may show up as grandmamel@dialup56-242.bfeisp.com,
but they switch the From: header over.  It was a UI nightmare trying
to explain envelope addresses to the great unwashed mailing list
subscribers out there, especially when it seemed to get in the way of
their legitimate mail sending.

	Also, what if you're using an SMTP smarthost, and that
smarthost changes?  You'd have to modify all your mailing list
subscriptions even though your address hasn't moved at all.  Too much
reliance on envelope adresses can expose the pipes and gears at a
layer where they don't really belong.

--
The insipid neologism "blog" appears to mean little more        Nick Moffitt
than a Web site that *actually* gets updated, as opposed  nick@teh.entar.net