[linux-elitists] Notify about using the e-mail account.

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sun Apr 11 22:49:34 PDT 2004

begin Don Marti quotation of Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:31:47PM -0700:

> I'm taking the list down until I get this fixed.

If you can read this, the list is back up.  I put in
two quick fixes and will do one more soon.

Quick fix 1: changes to "Content filtering" in Mailman.

Mailman does two passes by MIME type -- pass 1 deletes
known bad content types, pass 2 deletes anything
except known good content types.

Banned content types removed in pass 1:
multipart/alternative, multipart/mixed, text/html

Everything except these content types removed in pass 2:
multipart/signed, text/plain, application/pgp-signature

Quick fix 2: change to max. allowed message size in Mailman.

It's now 11k.  Trim those quotes, people.  (Even
Karsten's OpenPGP-signed opinion on SPF comes in
under 9k, so writers of original prose should have
nothing to fear.)

More general fix 1: turn on SPF checking in Postfix.

Postfix 2.1 will support a Milter-like "Access
Policy Delegation", which is the recommended way
to check SPF.  I plan to upgrade this server to 2.1
when it's released, and check SPF then.  I may put
in other mail policy stuff at the same time.

What I really don't understand is: Why would Mailman
want to let list posts through when the envelope
sender is on the list and the From: is forged to an
address not on the list?  Should I just go ahead
and replace calls to get_senders() with calls to
get_sender()?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                          Learn Linux and free software