[linux-elitists] RPM non free?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 7 13:48:57 PDT 2004

Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

> Ah, I was familiar with the 1.0 version of that license, not the 2.0
> version.  That makes more sense now.

If you ever need to re-find them, I have both of them linked from the
Licensing_and_Law category of my knowledgebase at
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/ .  (I don't do licence advocacy; all I'm
trying to do is bring more clarity to the subject.)

> Well, a bit more sense, but as elfutils was released under the 1.0
> version of the license, I still think this is a bit of grandstanding by
> the Debian developers.

Could be that -- or a misunderstanding, or something else you and I
aren't aware of.  My guess is that you're not the only one unaware of
the significant differences between the 1.0 and 2.0 text, and someone
leapt to conclusions.

--
Cheers,             "That scruffy beard... those suspenders... that smug ex-
Rick Moen           pression.... You're one of those condescending Unix users!"