[linux-elitists] RPM non free?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 6 16:35:40 PDT 2004

Quoting Adam Sampson (azz@us-lot.org):

[Please also see my separate reply to Greg.]

> (If I recall correctly, the Debian project had a different reason for
> considering it non-free, but that's my major complaint with it.)

Discussion occurred during one major spike in the GFDL kerfluffle, so it
was somewhat lost in the noise, I think.  One point was that the
patent-retribution clause (#10) is a bit harsh (overbroad):  It says that
if you file _any_ software patent litigation against the licensor --
whether it concerns this particular software or not (or against any
party concerning the covered software) -- then you lose your licence.

One commentator claimed that the patent-retribution mechanism revokes
one's rights to _all_ OSL-covered software from any source, but OSL 2.0's
text doesn't support such a reading.

To the extent clause #10 might be considered harsh, it might be
classified as (slightly) inequitable -- but that doesn't strike me as
making it non-free.