[linux-elitists] RPM non free?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Apr 6 14:42:02 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 02:13:01PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> From Debian Weekly News:
>
>     RPM orphaned and not free anymore? Joey Hess [17]orphaned [18]rpm
>     since the newest version depends on the non-free elfutils library.
>     This makes it impossible for Joey to update the package. Not being
>     able to include rpm in Debian could have far reaching consequences -
>     from problems with the LSB to increased difficulty to run other
>     distributions software on Debian and vice-versa.
>
>      17. http://bugs.debian.org/239518
>      18. http://packages.debian.org/rpm
>
> RPM support is required by LSB.

If you want to be certified as "LSB compliant", yes.  But remember, the
LSB only standardizes current implementations, it does not specify
anything that is not currently possible.

> This could be an oversight on the part of Red Hat.  Or it could be a
> strategic move on the part of Red Hat to exclude free distributions
> including Debian and Gentoo, from LSB compliance.

Heh, like Gentoo cares about that portion of the LSB spec :)
And Gentoo offers up many packages that have much more restrictive
licenses than OSL is.

Anyway, I don't see how the license for elfutils is "non-free" by any
means.  Do you care to explain why you think it is not so?

> I sense a great disturbance in the force.

I sense nothing of the sort.

thanks,

greg k-h