[linux-elitists] Sun + MSFT

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 5 18:32:35 PDT 2004

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti@ssc.com):

> Jonathan Schwartz may not be a "visionary"
> but he's at least not an idiot.

With reasonable luck, he's also smart enough not to aspire to visionary
status:  http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.11/visionaries_pr.html

Karsten wrote:

> We've seen such settlements in the past.  In each case, the settling
> party had a public, and ultimately highly damaging, "alliance" event
> with Microsoft.  That would be Apple, Corel, and Caldera / The SCO
> Group, among others.

But Sun have been playing the "alliance" game a lot longer than the
Redmond boys, and I doubt they'll let their own game be used against
them.  I predict they'll not sink any substantial resources into being
nice to Microsoft Corp. without immediate and substantively greater
returns, and that the entire thing will remain overwhelmingly PR noise.

--
Cheers,        "A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line, today.  The results
Rick Moen       blacked out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."