[linux-elitists] 1 Gb e-mail mailboxes?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 5 14:33:20 PDT 2004

on Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:03:43AM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Eugen Leitl quotation of Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 06:19:00PM +0200:
> > On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 06:11:50PM +0200, wuonm wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > for all e-mail admins out there...how can Google offer such huge inbox size and still pretend to earn some money?
> >
> > http://blog.topix.net/archives/000016.html
>
> That URL is right about Google operations.  One of the biggest trade
> secrets Google has today is their reliability stats on PC-architecture
> hardware.  How much would _you_  (get your employer to) pay for
> Google's report on drive failures by brand and model?

This I buy.  That blog is one of the more fascinating things I've read
in quite a while.

> But how can you afford to give users 1GB mailboxes...well, web-based
> email services are just big spam antennas.  You can run the service at
> a loss -- the real value is in charging for the right to query the
> tremendous real-time IP address shitlist it gives you.  Starting a
> web-based email service today is a bet on the intractability of the
> spam problem.

IMVAO this is a hopelessly overengineered approach to the spam problem.
With intelligent treatment of data it's possible to get a handle on spam
with a far smaller investment.  And for proper honeypotting, you'd want
to scatter your pots widely, not cluster them in one space.  Physical or
logical.

I don't buy it.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/