[linux-elitists] 1 Gb e-mail mailboxes?

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Mon Apr 5 12:08:53 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 13:03, Don Marti wrote:
> the real value is in charging for the right to
> query the tremendous real-time IP address shitlist it
> gives you.  Starting a web-based email service today
> is a bet on the intractability of the spam problem.

Hmm, I'm not certain I buy that.

If I wanted real-time spammer IP lists, I'd just set up several
honeypots. Getting a pot into the spammer lists is trivial, and Google
isn't really going to get any more spam per account than I am. The fact
that they're getting it to millions of mailboxes is rather beside the
point, since that doesn't represent more origins.

Am I missing some value that Google (or Hotmail or Yahoo!) could derive
here?

I think the real aim is to make money on ads, and the bet is that disk
costs less than the net from the ads... we shall see.

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith