[linux-elitists] Sun + MSFT

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 2 13:51:29 PST 2004

Dashing this off as I've gotta run....

So Sun and MSFT have a $2b settlement, of which I've read little.

The Register's subhead says it all:  "Peace in our time".  For those
unfamiliar with the allusion, it's a reference to the summary of the
British Prime Minister Chamberlain after meeting with Adolf Hitler,
shortly before the outbreak of WW Jr.  Chamberlain's successor is rather
more highly regarded.

We've seen such settlements in the past.  In each case, the settling
party had a public, and ultimately highly damaging, "alliance" event
with Microsoft.  That would be Apple, Corel, and Caldera / The SCO
Gorup, among others.

I've got my suspicions that this trend continues, despite the very clear
and public animosity between Sun and Microsoft.

Any further reads on how this bodes for Sun?  I'm nonplussed.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.
		        SCO vs IBM Linux lawsuit info:  http://sco.iwethey.org