[linux-elitists] Is Pobox.com using SPF?

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Apr 2 13:02:16 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 19:01, Rick Moen wrote:
> Attempts to communicate with Pobox.com continue.

I'd be stunned if you get a response.

Confrontational email tends to elicit a fight-or-flight response, and
since "fight" means far, far more work than "flight"... the delete key
is usually the predictable outcome.

Crafting mail which is intended to convince the person who reads it that
higher authorities need to be consulted is indeed painfully hard.
Usually it has to involve a "carrot" of some sort that makes the reader
think that they will be rewarded for their effort. Something (very)
roughly like:

        > SPF is an optional spam filter on Pobox.com accounts.

        That is true, but the Pobox.com is the inventor of SPF, and your
        marketing department may not realize that your systems
        administration department is sending out what amounts to fliers
        reading, "SPF is just too complicated to bother with."

        If you point this out to your management, I'm sure they would be
        surprised to find that one of the primary reasons to adopt the
        use of your technology (which depends on widespread usage in
        order to work properly) is being refuted by your own systems. If
        they ask one of your systems managers how this bounce message in
        reply to a forged message from an SPF-protected domain could
        have come from Pobox.com, I'm sure you will find you've
        enlightened a troubling problem.

I'm terrible at this, and someone else could probably re-form this into
human-speak, but the idea is to present the reader with the opportunity
to be a hero and point out a problem that THEIR BOSSES don't know about.

Reading your original mail, one is only left to assume you're upset
about some mail you got, even though you're not a customer of theirs! I
know that's not the case, but it's just too hard for the naive reader to
tell that.

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith