gconf brain death (was Re: [linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity)

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Tue Sep 30 18:53:05 PDT 2003

On 30 Sep 2003, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Best I can tell, gconf is largely bug-for-bug compatible on all
> points, though I admit my aquaintance with it is quite casual.

I earnestly hope this spawns a GconfTroll on Slashdot.  The
combination of just enough truth to make it plausible, self-righteous
ignorance, and criticism of any passing similarity to Windows would be
right at home.

> Is anyone familiar with a curses or command-line gconf editor?

$ gconf TAB TAB DING

Huh, 'gconftool'.  Who would of thought of looking there?

  $ gconftool-2 -R /apps/metacity
  $ gconftool-2 -g /apps/metacity/general/visual_bell_type

etc.

One way in which gconf is superior to traditional dotfiles is that
change notifications are broadcast, rather than relying on restarting
the program or the user reloading their configuration.  For example:

  $ gconftool --set --type=string /apps/metacity/general/theme Crux

Writing an emacs mode to edit the gconf database by calling gconftool
is a 2-star exercise for the reader.

More information, linked from the first google hit for "gconf":

  http://developer.gnome.org/feature/archive/gconf/gconf.html

--
Martin