[linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity

Don Marti dmarti@ssc.com
Mon Sep 29 16:41:05 PDT 2003

begin J. Paul Reed quotation of Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:47:04AM -0700:

> Do an "about:config" and you'll suddenly realize why they didn't put in
> little slider bars, checkboxes and input fields for each configurable
> Mozilla feature.

If / or Edit->Find worked on that page (I'm running 1.4, maybe it
works by now) it would be great for, say, searching for options
containing "blink", finding "browser.blink_allowed" and turning
it off.  Some balloon help would be nice too...

One thing that I fail to get about multi-tab dialog boxes is
how do you know whether the thing you want is in a category tab
("Appearance" or "Navigator"?) or in an "Advanced" tab -- without
clicking around like a monkey?

It's like record stores that put some bands in the "Alternative"
section.  How the hell am I supposed to know if a band is
"Alternative" or not?  And how am I supposed to know that the
perfectly obvious thing I want to do is in a sub-tab of "Advanced"?

> And actually, you can edit those preferences directly via about:config so
> you don't have to get your hands dirty with vi (or emacs), and it will even
> save them in prefs.js for you.

When software gets to be sufficiently complex, it's more important
for the configuration system to be searchable than exploreable.
It's more productive to bring up an Apache config file and search for
relevant words than to bring up a proprietary web server's dialog box
and click around.

KG6INA