[linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Mon Sep 29 11:28:07 PDT 2003

On 29 Sep 2003 at 09:01:49, Nick Moffitt arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> > Please notice that despite the nonstop handwaving from the Mozilla
> > team about how maintaining seperate native interfaces for the
> > assorted Gecko frontends was supposed to be some sort of impossible
> > herculean task that no reasonable person could be expected to
> > tackle, in the time that it took to produce ONE semi-functional
> > version of Mozilla, Opera Software, a company with not even a tenth
> > of AOLNSCP's resources, produced multiple versions of a fully
> > functional web browser, for all of Mozilla's major target platforms.
> > Not only did they produce, maintain and upgrade native Windows,
> > MacOS and Linux versions of Opera, but they increased their market
> > share, and made money doing it.

Yeah, but Opera doesn't support the fully support all the web standards
that Mozilla does, and there's a reason for that: namely that native GUI
toolkits can't do everything that's required of them by CSSx.

I'll agree that maybe they went a bit overboard with XUL... but XUL is more
than just about producing a web browser, and they are starting to find a
balance with putting certain renderable items back in native toolkits where
it makes sense, and using XUL where *it's required* because the native
platform just doesn't offer any options for what you need.

Later,
Paul