[linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon Sep 29 08:58:30 PDT 2003

begin  Joakim Ziegler  quotation:
> Even so, the fact that you not merely can, but *have to* sit down
> and configure Emacs a lot before it's usable (or copy in an existing
> config) sucks. I don't know *anyone* who likes the defaults in
> Emacs, and I think it would definitely have been possible to provide
> defaults that made it a lot more usable for the vast majority of us.

	This brings me to something that Don Marti told me once.  He
used to talk about how he always wanted to ask RMS if he had a .emacs
file at all.  I mean, you're the author, so why not just make your
favorite configs the default?  I recall that the answer he eventually
got was something like "yes, but they're all very personal things that
I don't feel would be appropriate to share."

	So it's probably safe to assume that from a sheer
functional/customization standpoint, RMS is happy as a clam with the
EMACS defaults.  If there were anything he wanted to tweak, he'd just
make it the default, right?  All of the configuration he does is
likely address books or hooks into his funky mail system.

--
Support your droogs!

end