[linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Sun Sep 28 23:42:31 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 00:32, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:07:55AM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> > Too many preference items are a very bad thing, both for the reasons
> > cited above, and because they tend to be an excuse for not doing user
> > testing and thinking, and figuring you what a sensible way to do things
> > is. So instead, it's made configurable, and it's up to the user.

> Are you trying to diss emacs or something? Funny, because I much
> prefer its configuration system to mozilla's.

Emacs is very, very different from a browser, in the complexity of tasks
you use it for, usage patterns in general, and just sheer number of
things that it can be useful to configure. Emacs is an expert tool.

Even so, the fact that you not merely can, but *have to* sit down and
configure Emacs a lot before it's usable (or copy in an existing config)
sucks. I don't know *anyone* who likes the defaults in Emacs, and I
think it would definitely have been possible to provide defaults that
made it a lot more usable for the vast majority of us.

Also, Emacs' configuration system is unusable for non-experts. Are you
seriously suggesting that a browser should have a similar system?

> An emacs configuration is a work of art. If I could put the same
> amount of time into configuring mozilla, I wouldn't have all these
> complaints, would I?

If you put the same amount of time into configuring every application
you used, you at least wouldn't have time to.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet