[linux-elitists] Poor skills of most IT "professionals"

Wayne Earl wayne@qconcepts.net
Thu Sep 25 11:51:32 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:20:48AM -0700 or thereabouts, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> As I've followed the anti-spam discussion, I realize that many of the
> "sysadmins" I'm now meeting could never set up a SpamAssassin filtering
> email gateway.  It scares me, and I don't know if I should be worrying more
> about it.  Is the pool of skilled IT people being diluted?  Is the set of
> "less skilled" IT people about the same as it has always been, and I'm now
> just more exposed to it because of the companies and people I now tend to be
> working with?

I think this results partially from the "Geek's Dilemma" - I have met
dozens of very intelligent techies that, for all their brainpower, had
the social skills of a mental patient. These guys scare business
people, which may have been perfectly acceptable during the boom, but
during the bust...

As an IT consultant, you are always selling something - yourself. If a
non-technical business person doesn't feel comfortable with you,
despite your qualifications, you will not get the gig. As a result,
I've seen many unqualified people doing work they should never have
gotten just because the boss was comfortable interacting with them.

Unfortunately (for some), "soft skills" are more important than
technical ones, because these are the skills that get you in the door
in the first place.

> Thoughts?
>
> Larry
>
> --
> Larry M. Augustin                       lma@lmaugustin.com
> Tel: +1.650.966.1759                    Fax: +1.650.966.1753

Wayne Earl <wayne@qconcepts.net>
gpg public key: http://www.qconcepts.net/key.txt
gpg key fingerprint: 3CE4 0558 635E DADB 327C 73AB 11CA 9A6B B209 E8C5