[linux-elitists] Poor skills of most IT "professionals"

K.R. Foley kr@cybsft.com
Thu Sep 25 11:11:13 PDT 2003

Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> First - a digression.  Kudos to this list for extricating itself from a
> flamefest and switching to some useful discussion of SpamAssassin.

I must say that after the SA / CR thread started Tuesday, I replaced
Spambouncer with SpamAssassin. Not wanting to be beaten about the head
and shoulders for throughing out unsubstantiated statistics, lets just
say that SA has cut down on my spam intake significantly. Spambouncer is
great but SpamAssassin seems to be even better.

> Now, onward.  Earlier in my carrier I spent time as a sysadmin at Stanford
> and a small EDA company.  Recently I've been spending a lot of time with
> small companies (less than 50 people), and had a chance to see some of the
> people who provide IT services for them.
>
> Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I find the lack of basic IT skills to be
> absolutely appalling.  I find many places have no one that can write
> anything more complicated than a few lines of DOS batch files.  They even
> struggle with those.  Basically, many of the "IT professionals" I see today
> are distinguished from users only because they're the people that are
> willing to read the installation guide and follow directions installing the
> software.  (Users won't read any directions.)
>
> As I've followed the anti-spam discussion, I realize that many of the
> "sysadmins" I'm now meeting could never set up a SpamAssassin filtering
> email gateway.  It scares me, and I don't know if I should be worrying more
> about it.  Is the pool of skilled IT people being diluted?  Is the set of
> "less skilled" IT people about the same as it has always been, and I'm now
> just more exposed to it because of the companies and people I now tend to be
> working with?

I don't think this has anything to do with the companies you are working
with. I think it has everything to do with the caliber of the MAJORITY
of "IT professionals". I have seen a lot of this over the past 10 or 12
years. I have been amazed too often at what passes as TOP people in both
admin and development areas. It really doesn't seem to matter about the
size of the company either. If anything most of the better people I have
run into have been in the smallest companies.

> Thoughts?
>
> Larry
>
> --
> Larry M. Augustin                       lma@lmaugustin.com
> Tel: +1.650.966.1759                    Fax: +1.650.966.1753

K.R. Foley
kr@cybsft.com
http://www.cybsft.com