[linux-elitists] Poor skills of most IT "professionals"

Mark Johnson mj@bror.org
Thu Sep 25 11:02:38 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:20:48AM -0700, Larry M. Augustin wrote:

> As I've followed the anti-spam discussion, I realize that many of the
> "sysadmins" I'm now meeting could never set up a SpamAssassin filtering
> email gateway.  It scares me, and I don't know if I should be worrying more
> about it.  Is the pool of skilled IT people being diluted?  Is the set of
> "less skilled" IT people about the same as it has always been, and I'm now
> just more exposed to it because of the companies and people I now tend to be
> working with?
>
> Thoughts?

The three years (97-2000) I spent doing field software support in
Chicago for [Unix vendor] I met a lot of sysadmins from small to large
shops, from long time Unix shops to one that was replacing 30 hand
built PCs running OS/2(!) with the shop's first Unix box.

I'd say that about 5-10% of the sysadmins I met would be ones I would
want to work with or hire based on their experience, intelligence and
enthusiasm for Unix and system administration.

There was another 5% of enthusiastic beginners that I would consider
if they could be part of some kind of mentorship program.

The rest I would say fit your description.

Then there was the one who I told flat out: "Do not do that, the
volume manager will not work if you reconfigure it that way."

Two weeks later the call comes in: "We did that and now the machine is
a smoking crater in the data center."  Causing me to flee support, but
I did learn a lot from playing firefighter.