[linux-elitists] Poor skills of most IT "professionals"

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Sep 25 10:38:05 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 13:20, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> First - a digression.  Kudos to this list for extricating itself from a
> flamefest and switching to some useful discussion of SpamAssassin.
>
> Now, onward.  Earlier in my carrier I spent time as a sysadmin at Stanford
> and a small EDA company.  Recently I've been spending a lot of time with
> small companies (less than 50 people), and had a chance to see some of the
> people who provide IT services for them.
>
> Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I find the lack of basic IT skills to be
> absolutely appalling.  I find many places have no one that can write
> anything more complicated than a few lines of DOS batch files.  They even
> struggle with those.  Basically, many of the "IT professionals" I see today
> are distinguished from users only because they're the people that are
> willing to read the installation guide and follow directions installing the
> software.  (Users won't read any directions.)

Ahhh, but there are those of us that never read installation
instructions either... well, at least the first time.

But, you are right about the general lack of skill. Most small
businesses use a "son of a friend of a friend, who plays FPSs games".
They inherently trust em, because they can *USE* a computer.

Little do they know (both parties). And getting them out of the quagmire
is difficult. It took me threatening a small business man I deal with
double charges for his refusal to trust my judgment. Mainly because a
"Vendor" application would not work. As soon as they said "Linux" to
tech-support... We don't support Linux...

Well, I told him if they can tell the difference between Samba and the
NT4 that was there before... I'll give hive 10 hours of free work. If
they never mention or notice the samba stuff... I get 10 hours from his
firm... (a construction company) since we both charge ~the same he made
the deal.

Well, the "Vendor" VNC'd into (for this only) and they didn't mention a
peep and discover a grave bug in their software. Which is what I knew
the problem was to begin with. They couldn't get past the Linux as the
FILE-SERVER. Well, I ended up getting a really nice Shed for my stuff
off of my main garage.

> As I've followed the anti-spam discussion, I realize that many of the
> "sysadmins" I'm now meeting could never set up a SpamAssassin filtering
> email gateway.  It scares me, and I don't know if I should be worrying more
> about it.  Is the pool of skilled IT people being diluted?  Is the set of
> "less skilled" IT people about the same as it has always been, and I'm now
> just more exposed to it because of the companies and people I now tend to be
> working with?
>
> Thoughts?
I be guessing it is because you are not in contact with any formal IT
department, usually if they have one it's they
Copier/Phone/Fax/Computer/Fix-it person from the Mailroom or something.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Madam! How your enormous foreskin shades me from the sun!