[linux-elitists] Poor skills of most IT "professionals"

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Thu Sep 25 10:20:48 PDT 2003

First - a digression.  Kudos to this list for extricating itself from a
flamefest and switching to some useful discussion of SpamAssassin.

Now, onward.  Earlier in my carrier I spent time as a sysadmin at Stanford
and a small EDA company.  Recently I've been spending a lot of time with
small companies (less than 50 people), and had a chance to see some of the
people who provide IT services for them.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I find the lack of basic IT skills to be
absolutely appalling.  I find many places have no one that can write
anything more complicated than a few lines of DOS batch files.  They even
struggle with those.  Basically, many of the "IT professionals" I see today
are distinguished from users only because they're the people that are
willing to read the installation guide and follow directions installing the
software.  (Users won't read any directions.)

As I've followed the anti-spam discussion, I realize that many of the
"sysadmins" I'm now meeting could never set up a SpamAssassin filtering
email gateway.  It scares me, and I don't know if I should be worrying more
about it.  Is the pool of skilled IT people being diluted?  Is the set of
"less skilled" IT people about the same as it has always been, and I'm now
just more exposed to it because of the companies and people I now tend to be
working with?

Thoughts?

Larry

--
Larry M. Augustin                       lma@lmaugustin.com
Tel: +1.650.966.1759                    Fax: +1.650.966.1753