[linux-elitists] (tmda) Re: Constraining Bogus challenges.

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Tue Sep 23 22:56:39 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:29:56PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Andrew (akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com):
>
> > Offhand, why don't you use spamc/spamd?
>
> A fair question.
>
> My -=production=- machine (emphasis added) was running Exim3 + procmail
> + SA-via-procmail, and got generally good results until whopping piles
> of Spam Assassin processes started running out of control.  In the heat
> of the moment, I had to change something quickly (which in general, I
> try to avoid) in such a way as to deterministically fix things right
> away.
>
> o  I didn't know much about spamc/spamd -- and didn't have time to learn.
> o  My best guess was that /usr/bin/spamassassin just wasn't keeping up
>    with mail resulting from the current Microsoft virus.  So, I had
>    little reason to think daemonising SA would fix that.
> o  That seemed credible, because I've been getting really clobbered
>    as a result of recent MS-virus-related forged mails.
> o  For reasons posted separately, doing most vetting during SMTP-time
>    seemed inherently superior, and a combination of exim rulesets and
>    the exim-sa modification seemed the best way to do that.
> o  Given that I was going to try the foregoing, I figured I might as
>    well (finally) switch from Exim3 to Exim4 (since Exim3's a dead-end).
> o  And... well... I've lost a lot of sleep over the years to runaway Perl
>    scripts on production servers, so I can perhaps be forgiven for
>    jumping to conclusions about /usr/bin/spamassassin causing my recent
>    woes.

On that note, I am about ready to take my home system from Exim3 to
Exim4 (Debian Sid if it matters) Any tips or pointers on stuff I should
be aware of? it's a basic system now, that only handles mail for me, and
the internal mail for the machine, nothing too complicated, but my
earlier attempts at using Exim4 were not successful, and I lacked the
time to troubleshoot them properly, so I put it off. ti later, which is
now.

--
Jim Richardson         http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()