[linux-elitists] (tmda) Re: Constraining Bogus challenges.

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 23 22:29:56 PDT 2003

Quoting Andrew (akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com):

> Offhand, why don't you use spamc/spamd?

A fair question.

My -=production=- machine (emphasis added) was running Exim3 + procmail
+ SA-via-procmail, and got generally good results until whopping piles
of Spam Assassin processes started running out of control.  In the heat
of the moment, I had to change something quickly (which in general, I
try to avoid) in such a way as to deterministically fix things right
away.

o  I didn't know much about spamc/spamd -- and didn't have time to learn.
o  My best guess was that /usr/bin/spamassassin just wasn't keeping up
   with mail resulting from the current Microsoft virus.  So, I had
   little reason to think daemonising SA would fix that.
o  That seemed credible, because I've been getting really clobbered
   as a result of recent MS-virus-related forged mails.
o  For reasons posted separately, doing most vetting during SMTP-time
   seemed inherently superior, and a combination of exim rulesets and
   the exim-sa modification seemed the best way to do that.
o  Given that I was going to try the foregoing, I figured I might as
   well (finally) switch from Exim3 to Exim4 (since Exim3's a dead-end).
o  And... well... I've lost a lot of sleep over the years to runaway Perl
   scripts on production servers, so I can perhaps be forgiven for
   jumping to conclusions about /usr/bin/spamassassin causing my recent
   woes.

--
Cheers,                Linux:  It is now safe to turn on your computer.
Rick Moen