[linux-elitists] (tmda) Re: Constraining Bogus challenges.

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Tue Sep 23 20:55:14 PDT 2003

begin  Rick Moen Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> Indeed, in an attempt to better deal with all of the above, I've
> just now switched to SMTP-time accept/reject rules using Exim4,
> which I have reason to expect will give vastly better results than
> my aging Exim3 [1] setup.  (I'm mostly trying to make sure I didn't
> break anything, e.g., Mailman integration, before trying to enable
> SA inside Exim4 local-scan.)
[...]
> [1] Which is no longer maintained, so it was time to move on, anyway.

	I'm curious to see how this works out for you.  I've got a
crazy set of custom patches to my exim4 setup (largely to deal with
new requiremenets for recent mailmans and for UUCP (I know.)).

> My Exim3 + procmail + SA-via-procmail setup finally collapsed,
> yesterday, under the avalanche of SWEN-related mails, etc.  Even
> after doubling the RAM to 256 MB, my poor old PIII/500 hit a load
> factor of 300 before I was able to regain control:  It would keep
> spawning more and more SA processes until it dove into swap, and
> then never ground its way back down.

	My discovery is that proper locking can help here.  Even
bogofilter slows zork to a crawl when big mailstorms blow through, so
I police users to make sure that there are no pipe-spawn ":0" lines in
their .procmailrcs.

--
Support your droogs!

end