[linux-elitists] (tmda) Re: Constraining Bogus challenges.

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Tue Sep 23 19:21:04 PDT 2003

> My Exim3 + procmail + SA-via-procmail setup finally collapsed,
> yesterday, under the avalanche of SWEN-related mails, etc.  Even after
> doubling the RAM to 256 MB, my poor old PIII/500 hit a load factor of
> 300 before I was able to regain control:  It would keep spawning more
> and more SA processes until it dove into swap, and then never ground its
> way back down.

Offhand, why don't you use spamc/spamd?  I've been running it with a
moderately-loaded qmail mail server and in addition to RAV virus scanning
every single email passing through the system, the 5m load barely rises
above 0.5.  (~2kmessages/hr, Duron 1100, 256MB mem)

The only thing I have in the system that could be regarded as a speedup is
that the procmail recipe skips spam-scanning any message that is greater
than 75k in order to prevent tossing around large files any more than
necessary.

Regards,
Andrew