[linux-elitists] dealing with Swen

sherringham alastair@calliope.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 15:47:19 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 07:13:26PM +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

> Much as I hate to do it, if accepting and /dev/null'ing 200Mb of trash email
> a day helps, that's what I'll do (I'm on a wires only, unmetered ASDL line
> so it's not much of a hardship. But I really want to LART _somebody_.)

Yeah, me too. Feel my pain - I'm on a modem, so downloading so much
garbage is really painful. I've been going the old SMTP route for
years now (Demon, my ISP, push SMTP as well as POP), but I've recently
had to disable that and do cleanup on my mailbox via their web mail
service. This last week was almost too much - the worst I've seen.

I'm now using Postfix to just DISCARD anything containing .exe, .pif,
.com etc. - I don't see much point in rejecting these with a reply
message nowadays. Can't think of a legitimate reason to receive a .exe.

Some friends now tell me they don't bother with email anymore because
they're 'spammed to death'. Others ask me, plaintively, how they can
envisage their 10 year old having an email account, given the
pornography they're bound to be sent?

Email. Spammed to death. A tragedy of the commons.

Cheers,

--
Alastair Sherringham
http://www.calliope.demon.co.uk