[linux-elitists] dealing with Swen

Geoff Lane zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 11:13:26 PDT 2003

As far as I can tell, in dealing with the Swen storm, the general
recommendation of the list is to just accept and /dev/null the worm emails
via .procmail or some other local filter.

The reasons are

	* responding in any manner just multiples emails without any
	corresponding reduction in the trash emails.

	* using the sendmail access.db (or equivalent in other MTAs) to 550
	incoming Swen email is not helpful if your machine uses a peer mail
	router as the down line machine will just generate a "cannot
	deliver" message and direct it to the apparent sender (I'm guessing
	that a store&forward model is used by the MTA in this instance.)

Correct?

Much as I hate to do it, if accepting and /dev/null'ing 200Mb of trash email
a day helps, that's what I'll do (I'm on a wires only, unmetered ASDL line
so it's not much of a hardship. But I really want to LART _somebody_.)

(Time for a class action against Microsoft for supplying gratuitously
insecure operating systems and applications without a modicum of ring
fencing to prevent involuntary, antisocial behaviour when connected to a
network.)

--
Geoff Lane
If compulsary ID cards are introduced, can I at least choose a different