[linux-elitists] Swen

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 22 22:28:51 PDT 2003

On 22-Sep-2003, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 01:47 pm, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
> > What I don't care to generate is return to sender bounce messages
> > that go to people that didn't send a virus to begin with. I assert
> > that the bounce messages, just in sheer volume, are as bad as the
> > virus spam that caused them.
>
> But that's just the point.  When you block a virus email at the SMTP
> level, you're usually blocking the computer which is actually infected
> with the virus.  And if it's not, the computer relaying it to you is
> an open relay, which you shouldn't be accepting email from anyway.

The computer relaying it to you may be legitimately relaying it to you.
If your domain has multiple MX hosts, not all run by you, then they may
acept messages that will get blocked by your "real" MTA at SMTP time.
Thus generating a bounce message from the relaying MTA.

--
 \       "We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the |
  `\       sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his |