[linux-elitists] Swen

Ari Jort arijort@speakeasy.net
Mon Sep 22 10:40:29 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 11:39:13PM -0800, tek wrote:

> > An elitist receives their mail through a shell box where they can run
> > server-side procmail or spamassassin filtering.
>
> i would tend to disagree.
> A elitist blocks them at smtp. why let them on the box at all?

If you block at smtp-time how do you guard against false positives?
You'd never know because you'd never see the mail.

This situation can be more delicate when handling mail for a few
thousand users who regard the loss of a single legit mail as much
worse than coping with spam manually.

Remember the adage, it's worse that a single innocent should be
punished than 100 guilty should go free.  Kinda like that.

We're currently blocking zero mail.  We tag em and deliver em.
If users want to filter, that's up to them and their mailer.
Of course, this is far from satisfying because the burden of
chasing false positives also lies with users.

ari

--
Ari Jort
arijort@speakeasy.net