[linux-elitists] The last straw [VeriSign]

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Wed Sep 17 18:03:18 PDT 2003

On 17 Sep 2003 Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> wrote:

> I'm very upset about the latest prank they decided to pull.
> Conventional wisdom would indicate that there's nothing I can do and
> changes are only going to be further downhill from here.

Possibly of interest to armchair lawyers:

According to Verisign's catch-all web page, by mistyping a domain
name, you are using their "service" and accepting their "terms of
service".  In particular, you indemnify Verisign against various
liabilities, and you give away certain privacy rights.  Since from
Verisign's point of view you now have an existing business
relationship, some people might argue they now have a right to spam
you under certain anti-spam laws.

I would quote their text, except that their server is now not
responding.  (And there's another interesting failure mode: "host does
not exist" is replaced by a potentially very long TCP timeout.)

In the past, people who said "by reading this licence, you agree to pay me
$100" were usually joking...

--
Martin